[Users] oVirt Solaris support

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Wed Sep 18 07:36:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 03:39:35PM +0200, René Koch (ovido) wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-09-17 at 14:38 +0300, Itamar Heim wrote:

> > > Yes, indeed it does (even I have no clue how this can influence
> > > networking).
> > > When adding cpu model to my plain kvm machines libvirt xml network isn't
> > > working anymore.
> > > I'll test with some hook scripts if removing the cpu model will solve
> > > the network issue for my oVirt Solaris guest.
> > > Thanks for the hint.
> >
> > if you can pinpoint and reproduce, probably worth adding the qemu-kvm
> > mailing list
> >

> I managed to get Solaris networking running when removing cpu model and
> cpu match attributes, which are added by oVirt but not by virt-manager.
>
> I created a hook script (99_fix_solaris) which removes these
> information. Afterwards networking is fine in Solaris guests:
> https://github.com/ovido/ovirt-stuff/tree/master/hooks

Thanks!

> Just one question renaming:
> Is there any downside from oVirt side when removing these cpu
> information like e.g. features aren't working as expected?

If unspecified in the qemu command line, cpu is set to "qemu64", which
does not match any real hardware, and is not promised to be maintained
between different qemu version. Hence, migrating such a machine to an
older qemu process may lead to your guest suddenly seeing a different
CPU, which is not healthy.

Dan.