[ovirt-users] New member and first question...

David BERCOT ovirt at bercot.org
Thu Aug 7 12:54:02 UTC 2014

Le Thu, 7 Aug 2014 12:16:34 +0000,
Sven Kieske <S.Kieske at mittwald.de> a écrit :
>FYI:
>
>actually the vmware kernel leverages many open source drivers
>from the linux kernel and I highly suspect that it is in fact
>a custom linux kernel.
>
>some evidence that supports this view is the recent
>attempt of vmware to join the linux-distros mailinglist
>to get early access to vulnerabilities in open source code.
>
>you can just join this list if you offer a kind of "linux" distribution
>(or something very close to it).
>
>here is a thread for further reading on the case:
>http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q2/403
>
>PS: regarding ovirt-node:
>it's actually a very trimmed down linux system, just enough
>to act as an hypervisor, so it's bare metal virtualization
>(I would even argue that there is no such thing as a type 1
>hypervisor, because if you talk about type 1 hypervisors
>the hypervisor itself is the operating system kernel, which is also
>the case for kvm, as it is a linux kernel module).

If I understand well, oVirt-node is very very close to ESXi (which is
good news ;-)).
But to have such a "bare metal virtualization", we have not to install
a "complete" OS (like RH, Fedora, Debian, etc...) and then to add
oVirt-node packages ??? It should be a very light kernel with only
oVirt-node (KVM ?) modules/packages, no ?
There is only this part I do not understand !?!?

Thank you.

David.