[ovirt-users] New member and first question...

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Fri Aug 8 11:03:59 UTC 2014

Hello David,

On Do, 2014-08-07 at 14:54 +0200, David BERCOT wrote:
> Le Thu, 7 Aug 2014 12:16:34 +0000,
> Sven Kieske <S.Kieske at mittwald.de> a écrit :
> >FYI:
> >
> >actually the vmware kernel leverages many open source drivers
> >from the linux kernel and I highly suspect that it is in fact
> >a custom linux kernel.
> >
> >some evidence that supports this view is the recent
> >attempt of vmware to join the linux-distros mailinglist
> >to get early access to vulnerabilities in open source code.
> >
> >you can just join this list if you offer a kind of "linux" distribution
> >(or something very close to it).
> >
> >here is a thread for further reading on the case:
> >http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q2/403
> >
> >PS: regarding ovirt-node:
> >it's actually a very trimmed down linux system, just enough
> >to act as an hypervisor, so it's bare metal virtualization
> >(I would even argue that there is no such thing as a type 1
> >hypervisor, because if you talk about type 1 hypervisors
> >the hypervisor itself is the operating system kernel, which is also
> >the case for kvm, as it is a linux kernel module).
>
> If I understand well, oVirt-node is very very close to ESXi (which is
> good news ;-)).
> But to have such a "bare metal virtualization", we have not to install
> a "complete" OS (like RH, Fedora, Debian, etc...) and then to add
> oVirt-node packages ??? It should be a very light kernel with only
> oVirt-node (KVM ?) modules/packages, no ?
First, I second Sven's view, there is no such thing like a type 1 HV (so
'hardware' only). I used oVirt node 3.4 and it works really well and
sable. If you compare it with ESXi, you will feel it is very similar
(even the screen telling you system basics if you attach a monitor to
it).

ovirt node was developed later on, to you basically have two options:
- The 'classic' option: install a basic os (centos6 minimal or fedora 19
minimal) and install the ovirt packages via yum, then run ovit node
setup; done.

- run ovirt node iso, install it to disk. This leaves you with a system
wich has to be managed from ovirt engine, because all changes you make
manually do not survive a reboot (normally).

While I think using ovirt node is the best option for deploying HV-nodes
there is one major drawback: It does not support hosted-engine-ha atm;
but I think this feature will make it into ovirt node 3.5.

> There is only this part I do not understand !?!?
So bottom line, ovirt node is the same as option 1; but more tailored to
complete management from ovirt enginge.

> Thank you.
>
> David.

Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767