[ovirt-users] Migrate from one system to another.

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Tue Jul 8 15:17:53 UTC 2014

Hello Itmar,

thanks for sharing the Glance service idea - but one question:

All the info I found only mentions importing from glace [1]. Can you
point out how to export VM images to a glance repository from oVirt?
Until now I was not able to find this...

Thanks!

[1]
http://ovedou.blogspot.de/2014/03/importing-glance-images-as-ovirt.html

On Di, 2014-07-08 at 16:43 +0300, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 07/08/2014 12:54 AM, John Gardeniers wrote:
> > Hi Sven,
> >
> > Thanks but that's really not a workable solution for us. I'm surprised
> > there's no cleaner export/import mechanism. This is the only
> > virtualization system I'm familiar with doesn't have a simple and
> > straightforward way to export a VM to an external system.
> >
> > On the subject of support, my comments are related only to my personal
> > experiences. Also, there's a huge difference between Red Hat and Ovirt -
> > the Ovirt people care. :)
>
> a lot of the oVirt people are RHEV people too. We care about both.
> I'm sorry to hear about your experience, and hope it will improve.
>
> there are several items in this area being worked on:
> - Glance integration (available in 3.3) - allows you to export/import
>    disks to a glance service. the glance service can be connected to
>    multiple engine's concurrently.
>
> - as Sven mentioned, upcoming in 3.5, ability to attach/detach whole
>    storage domains.
>
> - still being discussed - ability to upload/download disks/vm's, and
>    ability to concurrently use simple nfs/posix shares.
>
> the glance option may be relevant to you, otherwise,
> export-ship-files-import it is (or detach the export domain and attach
> to the other engine)
>

> > regards,
> > John
> >

> > On 07/07/14 16:52, Sven Kieske wrote:
> >> Well, what you can do, is:
> >> export this vm to an export domain, detach the domain from your DC,
> >>
> >> than tar.gz the whole export domain (use the sparse option if you got
> >> thin provisioned disks)
> >> then upload that tar.gz they have to put it on their storage, extract
> >> and import the export storage domain, then import the vm.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> PS: But I can't believe the redhat support is so bad, after all the

Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767