[ovirt-users] New problem with hosted-engine during "Configuring the management bridge"

Bob Doolittle bob at doolittle.us.com
Thu May 15 13:55:06 UTC 2014

On 05/15/2014 05:03 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 08:06:00PM -0400, Bob Doolittle wrote:
>> Thanks John.
>>
>> When hosted-engine aborts, it uninstalls everything.
>> So there is no webadmin available.
>>
>> I've tried modifying the VDSM python code (e.g.
>> /usr/share/vdsm/storage/multipath.py and
>> /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/vdsm/tool/service.py) to see/work around
>> what's going wrong, but oddly VDSM does not seem to be affected. I suspect
>> the original code (or bytecodes) are cached somewhere.
> I do not think that this is the issue, but you can remove all trace of
> *.pyc/*.pyo to make sure this is not the case.

In fact I see new pyc being produced, so that's myterious as well.

>> Restarting vdsmd
>> service has no effect. I'd really appreciate some insight there so I can
>> work around it.
> What have you changed exactly? Where? If you add a plain syntax error to
> the script, does it still run?

Very simple changes, to try to get a copy of the multipath.conf file
that was presumably causing the error (since the hosted-setup cleans up
when it aborts). I've attached them (full filenames ^^).
The file never appears.

I also attached a replacement I installed for multipath, which runs the
*real* multipath (moved to multipath.bak) and filters the output to
remove the known problematic warnings, and then exits with 0 status.

But the weirdest thing is that I instrumented systemctl (replaced it
with a script that logged its args and then executed the real one), and
systemctl is *never* being invoked to start multipathd. Here's what it
logged:

show-environment
show-environment
status vdsmd.service
show -p LoadState firewalld.service
show -p LoadState sshd.service
show -p LoadState firewalld.service
show -p Id firewalld.service
disable firewalld.service
stop firewalld.service
stop libvirtd.service
start libvirtd.service
status sshd.service
show -p Id vdsmd.service
enable vdsmd.service
stop vdsmd.service
start vdsmd.service

If I run "vdsm-tool service-reload multipathd" by hand then I see the
log I'd expect:
reload multipathd.service

>> Does oVirt 3.4.1 work more smoothly with F20? I chose F19 because it's more
>> stable at this point, thinking that things would be more likely to work
>> smoothly. It's not turning out that way... I'm willing to start over with
>> F20 if there's no path forward.
> Vdsm works fine on 3.4.1, but I do not know about hosted-engine. Engine
> itself is known not to work on F20.

What OS is hosted-engine known to work on?

-Bob