[ovirt-users] [Users] Migrate cluster 3.3 -> 3.4 hosted on existing hosts

Ted Miller tmiller at hcjb.org
Fri May 23 18:40:50 UTC 2014

On 4/2/2014 1:58 AM, Yedidyah Bar David wrote:
> [...]
I have good news and bad news.

I migrated the 3 host cluster from 3.4 to 3.4 hosted.  The process went
fairly smoothly.  Engine ran, I was able to add the three hosts to the
engine's domain, etc.  That was all working about Thursday. (I did not get
fencing set up).

Friday, at the end of the day, I shut down the entire system (it is not yet
in production) because I was leaving for a week's vacation/holiday.  I am
fairly certain that I put the system into global maintenance mode before
shutting down.  I know I shut down the engine before shutting down the hosts.

Monday (10 days later) I came back from vacation and powered up the three
machines.  The hosts came up fine, but the engine will not start.  (I found
some gluster split-brain errors, and chased that for a couple of days, until
I realized that the split-brain was not the fundamental problem.)

During bootup /var/log/messages shows:

May 21 19:22:00 s2 ovirt-ha-broker mgmt_bridge.MgmtBridge ERROR Failed to getVdsCapabilities: VDSM initialization timeout
May 21 19:22:00 s2 ovirt-ha-broker mem_free.MemFree ERROR Failed to getVdsStats: VDSM initialization timeout
May 21 19:22:00 s2 ovirt-ha-broker cpu_load_no_engine.EngineHealth ERROR Failed to getVmStats: VDSM initialization timeout
May 21 19:22:00 s2 ovirt-ha-broker engine_health.CpuLoadNoEngine ERROR Failed to getVmStats: VDSM initialization timeout
May 21 19:22:03 s2 vdsm vds WARNING Unable to load the json rpc server module. Please make sure it is installed.

and then /var/log/ovirt-hosted-engine-ha/agent.log shows:

MainThread::ERROR::2014-05-21 19:22:04,198::hosted_engine::414::ovirt_hosted_engine_ha.agent.hosted_engine.HostedEngine::(_initialize_vdsm) Failed trying to connect storage:
MainThread::CRITICAL::2014-05-21 19:22:04,199::agent::103::ovirt_hosted_engine_ha.agent.agent.Agent::(run) Could not start ha-agent
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ovirt_hosted_engine_ha/agent/agent.py", line 97, in run self._run_agent()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ovirt_hosted_engine_ha/agent/agent.py", line 154, in _run_agent hosted_engine.HostedEngine(self.shutdown_requested).start_monitoring()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ovirt_hosted_engine_ha/agent/hosted_engine.py", line 299, in start_monitoring self._initialize_vdsm()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ovirt_hosted_engine_ha/agent/hosted_engine.py", line 415, in _initialize_vdsm
     raise Exception("Failed trying to connect storage")
Exception: Failed trying to connect storage

I can manually mount and start storage, but then my
sanlock/gluster/split-brain bites me, and there are no instructions out there
on how to recover from this situation.

I am starting over the "sanitary" way.  The only thing getting reused is the
gluster file system.  I will migrate one host at a time, and will get the
gluster system running under the hosts as I go, adding the host back into the
system as I go along.

You were right, :(
Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA

P.S. I hope that the install scripts can eventually be modified to migrate
existing hosts, but I understand that first you must have it stable from a
clean install.