[ovirt-users] Virtual Machines reporting as paused

Thomas Scofield tscofield at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 01:56:15 UTC 2014

A large number of my virtual machines are reporting in a paused state but
they are actually up and running. Unfortunately I don't look at this
cluster very often so I don't know exactly when it got into this state, I
believe it may have happened a couple months back when I deployed a change
to /etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf to throttle virtual machines migrations.  I deployed
this change via puppet and had puppet cycle the vdsm daemon.  All of the
vdsm daemons in the cluster were restarted in a short period of time. Since
this happened some time back all the logs have rotated off.

I have tried restarting vdsmd and libvirtd, but that doesn't appear to
return the virtual machines to an up state.  The output of "vdsClient -s 0
getAllVmStats" reports them as paused, "virsh -r list --all" reports them
as running.  From the GUI I can click run and the VM will show “Up” in the
GUI and vdsClient.  But if I restart vdsm, the VM's revert back to
displaying a paused state.  I did find that the *.recovery files in
/var/run/vdsm contain a status of Paused even when the GUI and vdsClient
are reporting it as up. I did try and change the status in this file while
vdsm was down and then start vdsm, but it had no effect and the entry in
the *.recovery file which  reverted to paused.

p335

sasS'status'

p336

S'Paused'

Any idea what might have caused the VM's to report as paused and how to
recover from it?

I am running

ovirt-3.3.4-1 and vdsm-4.13.3-4