[ovirt-users] Question about manual pools and statefulness

Omer Frenkel ofrenkel at redhat.com
Sun Jul 26 06:14:59 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

above is correct

> In my test lab I did the following:
> Created Windows template
> Sysprep and Shutdown
> Configured a manual pool with the above template
> Configure "Initial run" with domain membership and so on
> Assigned permissions to the pool
>
> Logged in in the user portal and launched my pool
> The vm starts up but in the admin portal I see the vm has a Stateless
> snapshot (read-only)
> "VM TestPoolMan-1 was restarted on Host kvm02 as stateless"
>
> Then in the user portal I shut down the vm and the stateless snapshot is
> removed
> "VM TestPoolMan-1 is down. Exit message: User shut down from within the
> guest"
>
> I powered up it again and now it is stateful (no snapshot)
> "VM TestPoolMan-1 was started by c.mammoli at apra.it (Host: kvm02)."
>
> So it's like the first time a user starts a vm in a manual pool it is
> stateless and from the second start it becomes stateful...

no, there is a bug in 3.5 regarding manual pools loosing the stateless snapshot on shutdown:
Bug 1239153 - Stateless VM snapshot gets deleted when user shuts down VM in a Manual Pool type
it is fixed for 3.6, we're considering backporting the fix to 3.5.5

in addition, important to understand that if vm is started from admin portal,
regardless to pool-type (auto/manual), it is started as statefull (no snapshot) and any change (including sysprep) is saved.
note also that when starting pool vm from admin, it doesnt assigned with permission to any user..
only when vm started from user portal (or pre-started) it will be stateless, and the user that started the vm will get the permission to this vm.