[ovirt-users] Hosted Engine on oVirt Node Hypervisor

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Sun Mar 22 18:45:36 UTC 2015

I'm setting up some new oVirt infrastructure, and wanted to give hosted
engine a try.  I downloaded and installed the oVirt Node Hypervisor ISO
(3.5-0.999.201502231653.el7.centos) on one of 3 nodes.  One of the
options in the hypervisor menu is "Hosted Engine".  This requires an
"Engine ISO/OVA URL for download".  The thing is - as far as I can tell,
there is no download link for this ISO/OVA on the ovirt release web
site.  I also can't find anything in the documentation that refers to it
(or even this menu in the hypervisor). I did find this after some searching:

http://jenkins.ovirt.org/user/fabiand/my-views/view/Node/job/ovirt-appliance_engine-3.5_master_merged/oVirt-Engine-Appliance-CentOS-x86_64-7-20150319.424.ova

(Now replaced with a build from 0322).  I asked on the ovirt IRC channel
and was told that this "might" work, but because of new functionality
introduced recently that it also might not. If the feature is available
in the node ISO, shouldn't there be an appropriate release of the hosted
engine ISO/OVA that works hand in hand with the node that I've
downloaded?   If it's not there because it isn't ready, isn't this
functionality something that should be added to maybe a "beta" node
release and tested before being released into the stable node hypervisor
release?

I asked on the IRC channel whether it might be possible for me to
kickstart my own engine from the node.  I ran into trouble with that as
well.   On the installed node, I can only configure one network
interface.  This is, of course, intended to enable ovirtmgmt for
communication with engine which would take over and configure everything
else for you.  Of course, when you don't yet have engine installed and
need to get it, this leads to a chicken and egg problem.  To kickstart
engine on node, I need an IP (from mgmt), an image (I guess it could
come from the mgmt network), but then I also need access to the external
network (on another NIC) to be able to install the appropriate ovirt yum
repository, and download the engine!  If I installed my own node
manually instead if using ISO, I guess I could configure the network,
and make it work, but I'm trying to take advantage of the work that has
already been put into node to make this all possible.

Anyway, I'm certainly interested in any feedback from users who have
been able to make this work.  I guess I could kickstart one node as an
engine, create the virtual image there, suck the ova down to the mgmt
server, install node, then use node to re-suck down the hosted engine
image, but it just seems like a lot of extra work.  Somehow I think it's
intended to be a little more straightforward than that.

Jason.