[ovirt-users] This VM is not managed by the engine

Jaret Garcia jaret.garcia at packet.mx
Sun Oct 18 16:00:02 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

Afew weeks ago we had a problem with the SPM and all host in the
cluster got stocked in contending, we restarted hosts one by one, and
the issue was solved. Howerver we didn't notice that one server even
it never stop running, it changed its state some way and then no
changes could be done to the VM, we tried to add more RAM and we saw
the message "Cannot run VM. This VM is not managed by the engine", so
we ssh the VM an send it to reboot, and once we did that the VM never
came back, we still see the VM in the engine administration but it
does not show any information regarding to network, disk, and so. We
created another VM to replace the services in the one we lost, however
we need to recover the files in the lost VM, we believe the image
should be in the storage but we haven't found a way to recover it,
some time ago we came across a similar situation but at that time it
was a NFS data domain, so it was easier for us to go inside the
storage server an search for the VM ID to scp the image and mount it
somewhere else, this time the storage is iscsi and even we found that
the hosts mount the target in /rhev/data-center/mnt/blockSD/   we
only see there the active images for the cluster, can anyone point us
how we can recover the lost image?  We know the VM ID and the Disk ID
from Ovirt.

Our Setup
ovirt version: 3.5.4 hosted engine
4 supermicro hosts running centos 7.1
1 iscsi storage server running Open-E DSS v7 Lite

Thanks in advance

Jaret
Email sent using Packet Mail - Email, Groupware and Calendaring for
the cloud!