[ovirt-users] SR-IOV: "ethX" interfaces not getting cleaned-up and virtio stops working

Matthew Trent Matthew.Trent at lewiscountywa.gov
Thu Apr 14 18:22:00 UTC 2016

I've been experimenting with SR-IOV. I have a network with two vNIC profiles, one for passthrough and one for virtio. Per this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-MROZ8D06Y

I think I should be able to do "mixed mode" using SR-IOV and virtio on the same physical NIC. It does work, initially.

But if I flip the VM between the two vNIC profiles, eventually the virtio one stops passing traffic. And I've noticed the Network Interfaces tab on that host shows an increasing number of eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3 interfaces, all with the MAC address of the VM. An equal number of interfaces has been deducted from the p3p1_x VF list. I'm guessing this is related...? See attached screenshot.

This is a Dell R530 and the NIC is an Intel X540.

OS Version: RHEL - 7 - 2.1511.el7.centos.2.10
Kernel Version: 3.10.0 - 327.13.1.el7.x86_64
KVM Version: 2.3.0 - 31.el7_2.7.1
LIBVIRT Version: libvirt-1.2.17-13.el7_2.4
VDSM Version: vdsm-4.17.23.2-1.el7

--
Matthew Trent
Network Engineer