[ovirt-users] How to add RAM to Hosted Engine

DiOrio, Max Max.DiOrio at ihs.com
Wed Feb 17 18:05:09 UTC 2016

Hi There...new oVirt user.  After a bit of a learning curve, I have things set up pretty well.  The web console in the hosted engine is running slow, and it's spiking memory to 98% frequently, but I only have 4096MB of RAM allocated.  Currently running oVirt 3.6.

>From the web interface, it doesn't seem possible to add memory to the hosted engine VM.  I can add it via the Edit menu, but then it complains that "This VM is not managed by the engine".

I see that some people have said to edit /etc/ovirt-hosted-engine-ha/vm.conf  but this file does not exist.  Then I saw someone say that the file is now located in /var/run/ovirt-hosted-engine-ha/vm.conf  I do see this here, but I can't update the file.  Each time I go to update it, it reverts back to the previous config.

I shut down the VM then tried to edit it, same thing.  I put the system in global maintenance mode, shut down the vm, then tried to edit it, same thing.

Getting frustrated over what should be a simple task, with nearly no documentation available.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Max