[ovirt-users] upgrade hosted-engine os ( not hosts )

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 08:53:08 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:

> Basically, you can manually do what the tool is supposed to do:
> 1. Make sure state is clean and stable (no running/pending storage actions,
> no VMs in the middle of migration etc), all clusters are compat level 3.6,
> etc.
> 2. Move to global maintenance
> 3. backup the engine using engine-backup and keep the backup elsewhere
> 4. Reinstall engine vm with el7 and 4.0 engine (the tool will use the
> engine
> appliance, you might too but not sure how exactly).
> 5. Restore the backup and run engine-setup.
> 6. If all looks ok, leave global maintenance.
>
> If you manually keep a full backup of the engine vm before step 4,
> you might be able to restore this backup if there are problems.
> Doing this in the provided tool is currently the main blocking issue
> for it. Hopefully will be provided in 4.0.1.
>
> Best,
> --
> Didi
> _____

Hello,
coming back to this proposed steps, do you think it could be applied also
to single host environment with hosted engine?
In that case a few clarifications needed

4. Reinstall engine vm with el7 and 4.0 engine (the tool will use the
engine appliance, you might too but not sure how exactly).
--> so in my still working 3.6 environment I will install a clean VM with
el7 and at least at the beginning while I provision it, it should have
different hostname and ip from previous engine vm, correct?
And then? Can I shutdown previous engine vm and after that, give the same
hostname and ip to the new el7 vm ?