[ovirt-users] Trouble configuring ISO domain on oVirt 3.5

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 20:02:05 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Hal Martin <hal.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Please excuse me if this question has been asked before, I've searched
> the mailing list archives and can't find someone having the same
> problem as I am.
>
> I have a new oVirt installation that I'm trying to configure, and I
> cannot get the ISO domain I configured during engine-setup to show in
> the UI at all.
>
> Installation layout:
> # Engine
> CentOS 7 - oVirt Engine 3.5 (VM on different, non-oVirt cluster)
> # Nodes
> de-fra-p-hv05 - oVirt Node 3.5
> de-fra-p-hv06 - oVirt Node 3.5
>
> I installed and configured the engine, but the node that runs the
> engine is a VM, and will not be running VMs itself. I intend to use it
> only as a management node (in the VMWare world this would be analogous
> to the vCenter server). I don't want to run hosted engine because that
> requires me to install Fedora/CentOS on the blades. I would much
> rather have the engine live on a different cluster and just run oVirt
> node on the blades.
>
> I am able to install the nodes successfully, and configure them from
> within the engine UI.
>
> I am using an iSCSI SAN for VM storage. As per the Quick Setup guide,
> I have configured my iSCSI network on the nodes and created an iSCSI
> storage domain for VMs.
>
> Where I am utterly stuck is the creation of the ISO domain:
> http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/quickstart/quickstart-guide/#Attach_an_ISO_domain
>
> Since the server running oVirt engine is not participating in the
> cluster, it doesn't appear in my data center. This might be my
> problem, but I'm not sure.
>
> Here's a summary of the data center I have configured thus far:
> System
> |- Data Centers
>   |- Storage
>    |- sanQA
>   |- Networks
>    |- ovirtmgmt
>    |- hpmsa
>    |- vmnet128
>   |- Clusters
>    |- QA
>     |- Hosts
>      |- de-fra-p-hv05
>      |- de-fra-p-hv06
>
> I have edited the ACL on the server running oVirt engine to allow rw
> access on /var/lib/exports/iso to nodes de-fra-p-hv05 and
> de-fra-p-hv06.
> $ cat /etc/exports.d/ovirt-engine-iso-domain.exports
> /var/lib/exports/iso de-fra-p-ove01.domain.xyz(rw)
> /var/lib/exports/iso 172.20.102.215(rw)
> /var/lib/exports/iso 172.20.102.216(rw)
>
> When I try to import an ISO domain in the Data Center -> Storage tab,
> I get the following error:
> "Error while executing action: Cannot add Storage Connection. Storage
> connection already exists."
> Attached is the engine log from attempting to import the ISO domain.

Import ISO domain? I think you want to attach it, not import it.

> I don't have any ISO domain visible in the Storage tab of my data
> center. Since I cannot see the ISO domain in the UI, I cannot create
> new virtual machines on my cluster.
>
> Please help me understand what I've done wrong.
>
> I've also attached a screenshot of the management interface. As you
> can see, I've configured an iSCSI domain. I see no button in the UI to
> "Attach ISO"

You should see the button if you open the correct tab:

1. On the left pane, click the data center name (Frankfurt)
2. Select the "Data Centers" tab in the top right
3. Select the "Storage" tab in the bottom

You should see the "Attach ISO" button in the top of the Storage tab.

See the attached screenshot (from 3.6, but it should be similar)

Nir