[ovirt-users] VM incremental backup

Arman Khalatyan arm2arm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 06:50:12 UTC 2016

The sparse files are special files(please checkout the wiki pages) to
conserve some diskspace and copy time.
The rsync --sparce does not take an advantage of it. It is trying to
checksum whole virtual diskspace which is obviously zero filled.
If you "cp" file then "cp" will try to autodetect it otherwise your file
willbe converted to regular file. You can also copy files with "tar -S ".
To check the size of actual vs virtual(sparse) you can use:
df -bsh filename vs  df -sh