[ovirt-users] 4-node oVirt with replica-3 gluster

Sahina Bose sabose at redhat.com
Wed Sep 28 06:20:21 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Goorkate, B.J. <b.j.goorkate at umcutrecht.nl>
wrote:

> Hi Sahina,
>
> First: sorry for my delayed response. I wasn't able to respond earlier.
>
> I already planned on adding the 4th node as a gluster client, so thank you
> for
> confirming that this works.
>
> Why I was in doubt is that certain VMs with a lot of storage I/O on the
> 4th node have to
> replicate to 3 other hosts (the replica-3 gluster nodes) over the storage
> network, while
> a VM on 1 of the replica-3 gluster nodes only has to replicate to two
> other nodes over
> the network, thus creating less network traffic.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> And if it does: can that be an issue?

IIUC, the 4th node that you add to the cluster is serving only compute and
there is no storage (bricks) capacity added. In this case, yes, all reads
and writes are over the network - this is like a standard oVirt deployment
where storage is over the network (non hyper converged).
While thoeretically this looks like an issue, it may not be, as there are
multiple factors affecting performance. You will need to measure the impact
on guest performance when VMs run on this node and see if it is acceptable
to you. One thing you could do is schedule VMs  that do not have stringent
perf requirements on the 4th node?

There are also improvements planned in upcoming releases of gluster which
improve the I/O performance further (compound FOPS, libgfapi access), so
whatever you see now should improve further.