[ovirt-users] Backups take sooo long, how can I improve the situation, where is the bottleneck?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 08:04:55 UTC 2017

On Jan 5, 2017 7:27 PM, "Florian Nolden" <f.nolden at xilloc.com> wrote:

Hallo everyone,

I would like to update my Ovirt installation but, before that I would like
to create proper VM backups. Currently I try to automate the backups and I
use the implementation of the following project.
https://github.com/wefixit-AT/oVirtBackup

The main idea is to use the Ovirt-API to trigger a snapshot, create a new
VM from the snapshot, delete the snapshot, export the vm to the export
domain, delete the vm.

This process takes even with only a 20 GB vm disk 55 Minutes. I have now 21
VMs with average 30 GB HDD space, that would mean that the backup job runs
22 hours.

Is there something wrong with my setup?
Config?
Is there a better way to automate backups?
Is anyone else doing VM Exports as backup or are you just using snapshots?

Specs:
HA Cluster 3 Nodes each has:
2x 6x 2.96 GHz, 96 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD for CentOS7, 1 TB SSD VM-Storage
(Gluster FS), 4x 1 GBit LAN Bond, 4x 1GBit SAN Bond (Gluster Network,
connection to Backup NAS/ Export Domain)

If you are using Gluster I'd utilize geo-replication.
See https://github.com/sabose/ovirt-georep-backup

Ovirt 4.0.3

I'd upgrade.
Y.

The script output:
Jan 05 14:12:16: Start backup for: wiki (20 GB)
Jan 05 14:12:17: Snapshot creation started ...
Jan 05 14:12:30: Snapshot created
Jan 05 14:12:40: Clone into VM started ...
Jan 05 14:36:37: Cloning finished
Jan 05 14:36:38: Snapshot deletion started ...
Jan 05 14:59:27: Snapshots deleted
Jan 05 14:59:28: Export started ...
Jan 05 15:07:09: Exporting finished
Jan 05 15:07:09: Delete cloned VM started ...
Jan 05 15:07:15: Cloned VM deleted
Jan 05 15:07:15: Duration: 55:0 minutes
Jan 05 15:07:15: VM exported as wiki_BACKUP_010516
Jan 05 15:07:15: Backup done for: wiki
Jan 05 15:07:15: All backups done

Thanks,
Florain