[ovirt-users] Docker images for oVirt engine

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Thu May 11 07:38:31 UTC 2017

On 05/11/2017 08:54 AM, Barak Korren wrote:

>> Checked it out. It seems more complicated than what I need, which
>> would be just a Dockerfile that pulls the required image. The
>> ovirt-containers repo seems to have a dependency on OpenCluster, which
>> I think I won't need since I'm after a basic install on one machine
>> for documentation purposes. Your advice is appreciated.
>
> Adding ovirt-containers developers. Yaniv, Juan, Fabian, Sandro,
> Simone - can ovirt-containers be used for his purpose?
>
> Also adding Rgolan since he did work in the past on a containerized
> dev environment for oVirt.
>
> If you just want your own little oVirt install "in a box" for
> testing/dev purposes, you can look at Lago and the ovirt-system-tests
> projects.

You may be able to use the engine container independently, with some
effort. But this 'ovirt-containers' project isn't certainly intended for
that simple use case, it is intended to be able to deploy the complete
oVirt system in an OpenShift cluster.

If you are willing to give this a try, and you already have a docker
installation, creating an OpenShift cluster for testing purposes is
really simple. You can use 'oc cluster up'. It is a matter of
downloading the 'oc' tool from here:

https://github.com/openshift/origin/releases/download/v1.5.0/openshift-origin-client-tools-v1.5.0-031cbe4-linux-64bit.tar.gz

That contains the 'oc' binary. Put it in your path and then run this
command:

  oc cluster up

That will pull all the required images, and configure a simple OpenShift
cluster into your machine. Once that completes you can proceed to deploy
the oVirt application. First you need to build the images, as they
aren't yet available in a public repository. To build the images
checkout the code of the project:

  git clone git://gerrit.ovirt.org/ovirt-containers

Then go into that directory and run this:

  make build

That will take quite a long time, as it needs to build all the images,
and it requires downloading of the base images and of the RPMs that go
into the images being built. Be patient.

Once the images are built, you can deploy the complete oVirt application
running this:

  make deploy

Would be great to have you testing this, giving feedback and reporting
any issues you find. But be aware that this is in a very early stage of
development and should be considered experimental.