We are working on something that is expected to have a big impact, hence this heads-up.
First, we want you to be aware of this change and provide your feedback to make it as good
Second, until the proposed mechanism is fully merged there will be a chase to cover all
features unless new features are also implemented with the new mechanism. So please, if
you are working on something that adds/changes something in the Libvirt's domain xml,
do it with this new mechanism as well (first version would be merged soon).
Creating Libvirt XML in the engine rather than in VDSM.
** Today's flow
Engine: VM business entity -> VM properties map
VDSM: VM properties map -> Libvirt XML
** Desired flow
Engine: VM business entity -> Libvirt XML
* Potential Benefits
1. Reduce the number of conversions from 2 to 1, reducing chances for mistakes in the
2. Reduce the amount of code in VDSM.
3. Make VM related changes easier - today many of these changes need to be reviewed in 2
projects, this will eliminate the one that tends to take longer.
4. Prevent shortcuts in the form of VDSM-only changes that should be better reflected in
5. Not to re-generate the XML on each rerun attempt of VM run/migration.
6. Future - not to re-generate the XML on each attempt to auto-start HA VM when using
vm-leases (need to make sure we're using the up-to-date VM configuration though).
7. We already found improvements and cleanups that could be made while touching this area
(e.g., remove the boot order from devices in the database).
1. Not to move host-specific information to the engine. For example, path to storage
domain or sockets of channels.
The solution is to use place-holders that will be replaced by VDSM.
2. Backward compatibility.
3. The more challenging part is the other direction - that will be the next phase.
As a first step, we began with producing the Libvirt XML in the engine by converting the
VM properties map to XML in the engine 
And using the XML that is received as an input in VDSM