Updated version of this RFC (please ignore V1 and consider only this):
This is a proposal for UI changes to reflect the new API options for
Network tab -> User clicks on add (+) button
Currently, there are 3 options in "Network Type": Isolated, NAT, Bridged
(which as of now sets macvtap or bridges according to the destination
chosen by user).
The API is changing for Kimchi 2.0: Bridged option will be split into
- "Bridged" option will now be used for creating networks tied to Linux
bridges or OVS bridges
- "macvtap" option will be added for creating macvtap networks.
Bridged option new behaviour:
1) Change description of "Bridged" option to refer to Linux bridges and
OVS bridges (no more direct connections)
2) When "Bridged" is selected, "Destination" will show all the
interfaces it currently shows plus OVS bridges
3) "Enable VLAN" will only be showed if user selects a NIC or bonding
from "Destination" pop-up (alternatively, we can show it always and
block the usage of VLAN with NIC or bonding selected)
4) "Bridged" option will call network_create API with "bridge" as
for "connection" parameter
New macvtap option:
5) Add a new option "macvtap" to Network Type, with same current
description of today's Bridged option
6) When macvtap option is selected, "Destination" will show only NICs
and bondings. It will NOT show any kind of bridges anymore.
7) "Enable VLAN" option is NOT showed
8) macvtap option will call network create API with "macvtap" as
"connection" parameter value
Fixes, corrections, suggestions are welcome.
IBM LTC Brazil