[ovirt-devel] virt-v2v intergration with vdsm

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 11:11:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:37:44AM +0200, Michal Skrivanek wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2014, at 14:17 , Shahar Havivi <shaharh at redhat.com> wrote:
> > More details on virt-v2v integration can be found in its feature page:
> > http://www.ovirt.org/Features/virt-v2v_Integration
>
> sounds good
> anyone else?:)

Is this directed at me?  Anyway I read it the first time, and I've
just scanned through it again.

I think it would be nice if the page talked about exactly what
virt-v2v command line(s) you are going to run.

In particular we support several sources.  See the '-i' options here:

  http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v.1.html

Each source has slight quirks, so you'll need to take that into
account in the UI.  To give you just one example: RHEL 5 Xen import
needs an ssh-agent, username, server name, optional port, and guest
name -- I don't think you've taken in to account any of those.

The second thing is P2V, which is (or can be) directed from the
physical machine.  It needs a virt-v2v instance to talk to, and I
guess that rules out vdsm.  Lots more on this topic in the manual page
(especially the 1.27.56 man page which is *not* online yet, so please
consult the man page in the brew package for now).

Rich.