Minutes (text): http://ovirt.org/meetings/ovirt/2012/ovirt.2012-09-19-14.00.txt
#ovirt: oVirt Weekly Sync
Meeting started by mburns at 14:00:14 UTC. The full logs are available
* agenda and roll call (mburns, 14:00:22)
* Project Manager Election results (mburns, 14:02:47)
* as we were organizing, we decided against the election (mburns,
* it was agreed that mburns would serve as Project Manager (mburns,
* and mgoldboi would serve as backup (mburns, 14:03:49)
* we'll probably split the role a bit with mgoldboi taking the lead on
some parts and mburns on others (mburns, 14:04:35)
* Release Status (mburns, 14:05:10)
* Devel freeze currently scheduled for Nov 14 (mburns, 14:05:41)
* GA currently scheduled for mid Dec (mburns, 14:06:03)
* as of right now, the plan is to make the release primarily a bug fix
and stabilization release (mburns, 14:06:35)
* mburns will be working on pulling together feature lists from the
component maintainers over the next couple weeks (mburns, 14:07:12)
* subproject status -- Node (mburns, 14:08:56)
* still no movement on the nfs issue, though it appears to be
something to be handled by the vdsm team (mburns, 14:09:20)
* mburns working on a centos based node (though not overly close at
the moment) (mburns, 14:09:48)
* team is currently in more of a bug-fix mode than a new feature mode,
but will have planned features list for 3.2 soon (mburns, 14:11:07)
* subproject status -- vdsm (mburns, 14:11:22)
* nothing to report (mburns, 14:13:54)
* subproject status -- engine (mburns, 14:14:04)
* nothing new to report (mburns, 14:14:55)
* subproject status -- infra (mburns, 14:15:08)
* Infra trying to tie up temporary hosting, Jenkins host turns out to
be fairly costly need, so I'm collecting the recommendation to see
if I can get more budget approved for a short term (quaid,
* we should be able to switch Gerrit over to a better solution under
the current approved budget spend (quaid, 14:17:45)
* Jenkins needs fast IO & RAID 5 or 10 is expensive under hosting
solutions (quaid, 14:19:41)
* I talked with RHT IT about hosting, that is coming down the pipe
soon (quaid, 14:19:57)
* workshops (mburns, 14:21:46)
* for Bangalore workshop, jbrooks dneary quaid have agreed to help
with surveys (mburns, 14:24:32)
* Bangalore split into 2 days, one dev focused, one user focused
* for KVM Forum + oVirt Workshop, jbrooks is working on pre-attendee
survey (mburns, 14:25:24)
* looking for board companies to help spread the word (mburns,
* lh is stepping into more of a consultant role and attendee outreach
* ACTION: Board companies help spread the word about KVM Forum + oVirt
* Bangalore is currently full (mburns, 14:26:46)
* KVM Forum+oVirt is at 25% currently (50 out of 200) (mburns,
* we need CFP submissions for oVirt Workshop at KVM Forum/LinuxCon
Europe (mburns, 14:27:56)
* workshop at NetApp in planning for January (mburns, 14:29:45)
* Other Topics (mburns, 14:30:27)
* mburns is out for next weeks meeting, mgoldboi will run the meeting
instead (mburns, 14:30:49)
* Website (mburns, 14:31:10)
* LINK: http://mediawiki-garrett.rhcloud.com/ (garrett_, 14:31:59)
* LINK: http://mediawiki-garrett.rhcloud.com/ (mburns, 14:32:14)
* demo version of ovirt.org completely in mediawiki (mburns,
* some debate about location of search box (mburns, 14:45:30)
* works completely with existing wiki content (mburns, 14:45:50)
* LINK: http://mediawiki-garrett.rhcloud.com/OVirt_3.1_release_notes ←
here are the release notes, for example (garrett_, 14:46:30)
* plan for deploying this to production is included on the mailing
lists (mburns, 14:52:48)
* please give feedback on site design and plan forward on list
* ACTION: quaid to talk with OpenShift folks about the 'ovirt'
namespace and account (quaid, 14:59:26)
Meeting ended at 15:03:03 UTC.
* Board companies help spread the word about KVM Forum + oVirt
* quaid to talk with OpenShift folks about the 'ovirt' namespace and
Action Items, by person
* quaid to talk with OpenShift folks about the 'ovirt' namespace and
* Board companies help spread the word about KVM Forum + oVirt
People Present (lines said)
* garrett_ (115)
* mburns (89)
* quaid (35)
* lh (27)
* sgordon_ (22)
* dneary (18)
* ovirtbot (14)
* jb_netapp (4)
* Guest7524 (2)
* fsimonce (2)
* doron (1)
* RobertM (1)
* dustins (1)
* mgoldboi (0)
Generated by `MeetBot`_ 0.1.4
.. _`MeetBot`: http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
I have noticed that using the virtio serial driver in Windows 7 and 2008R2 =
guests stalls the guests with 100% load on guest CPU. This happens both on =
guests that have been active for a while without the driver, and then you t=
ry loading it, or with installing new guests and loading this particular dr=
iver in the windows installer. I have downloaded the virtio-win-0.1.30.iso =
from linux-kvm ftp. Has anyone else noticed this in oVirt-3.1? I haven=B4t =
been able to test this outside of oVirt, directly with KVM, so I don=B4t kn=
ow if it=B4s an oVirt or KVM specific issue, I=B4m just letting everyone kn=
ow this has happened, and if ovirt-engine is supposed to use this serial in=
terface to "talk" with the guest back and forth; that=B4s going to hard to =
do if it=B4s stalled:)
Med V=E4nliga H=E4lsningar
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
Box 7079 (Visiting Address Kron=E5sv=E4gen 8)
S-750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)18-67 15 66
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
<body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-lin=
e-break: after-white-space; ">
<div>I have noticed that using the virtio serial driver in Windows 7 and 20=
08R2 guests stalls the guests with 100% load on guest CPU. This happens bot=
h on guests that have been active for a while without the driver, and then =
you try loading it, or with installing
new guests and loading this particular driver in the windows installer. I =
have downloaded the virtio-win-0.1.30.iso from linux-kvm ftp. Has anyone el=
se noticed this in oVirt-3.1? I haven=B4t been able to test this outside of=
oVirt, directly with KVM, so I don=B4t
know if it=B4s an oVirt or KVM specific issue, I=B4m just letting everyone=
know this has happened, and if ovirt-engine is supposed to use this serial=
interface to "talk" with the guest back and forth; that=B4s goin=
g to hard to do if it=B4s stalled:) <br>
<div><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; c=
olor: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-varian=
t: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal=
; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: n=
one; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-hori=
zontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-dec=
orations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stro=
ke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; ">
<div>Med V=E4nliga H=E4lsningar<br>
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences<br>
Box 7079 (Visiting Address Kron=E5sv=E4gen 8)<br>
S-750 07 Uppsala, Sweden<br>
Phone: +46-(0)18-67 15 66</div>
Looks like ovirt-engine and vdsm support for IBM POWER 7 is on road map. Is there a plan to support IBM POWER6 architecture? We're looking to virtualize 5 x IBM POWER6 BladeCenter H to utilize libvirt and KVM on SLES11 pcc64 blades. Thanks
----- Original Message -----
>> - We have Intel Xenon E5520 Nehalem based cpu's in these local storage
>> These are still recognized as the Conroe family. Even though
>> BZ#737104 was supposed to have been fixed.
>> (http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/5035/ )
> Not ovirt-node directly, I don't think, but a couple things to check.
> What are the cpu flags on the host (from engine gui)? Is the NX bit
> set correctly?
This is all cpu info I can find in the engine gui
CPU Name: Intel Conroe Family
CPU Type: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz
This is /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 15
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 26
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz
stepping : 5
microcode : 0xf
cpu MHz : 1600.000
cache size : 8192 KB
physical id : 1
siblings : 8
core id : 3
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 23
initial apicid : 23
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 11
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology
nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16
xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi
flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 4532.68
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> - Most of our nodes use iSCSI but some will need local storage. When
> trying to setup local storage I get this error:
> When I check in the directory there is a directory with a UUID
> containing the folder dom_md and images.
> I tried clearing the directory and adding storage domain but I get
> permission errors:
> run: "su - vdsm -s /bin/sh"
And then delete the directory with the UUID? How does it get there in
the first place? This will make auto deployment a bit more difficult.
I'm writing to the ml to know something about ovirt : Is there any
possibilité to define a vlan per vNic (pvid and/or trunk) , for each
vnic of VM ?
I'm working with openvswitch and i can define this. Well, for us, it's
the absolute needed (and killing) feature to define well known n-tiers
architecture in a virtual world (web fronted, BDD, load-balancer and
I'm interesting by oVirt because it seems to be an integrated web interface.
Thank you in advance !
First of all, congratulations to the team on today's release of oVirt 3.1!
As mentioned in today's weekly status IRC meeting, we would like to
ensure we have broad community participation in upcoming workshops. 
For KVM Forum + oVirt in Barcelona , a general call for papers will
be issued within the next few days. I will send a note to these lists
when details of the CFP have been announced.
For the oVirt workshop to be hosted at Red Hat's Bangalore campus on 16
October 2012, it would be wonderful if folks would propose sessions for
this workshop. (We have chosen not to go through a formal CFP process
for Bangalore so as to leave sufficient time for the KVM Forum + oVirt
CFP process to run most smoothly.) If you would like to propose a
session for oVirt Bangalore, please email me and I follow up with you.
As usual, any questions, please let me know.
 - http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/OVirt_Global_Workshops
 - http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/kvm-forum/
Community Action and Impact
Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat
oVirt Workshop Europe 2012: Call For Participation
November 7-9, 2012 - Hotel Fira Palace - Barcelona, Spain
(All submissions must be received before midnight Sep 14th, 2012)
The oVirt Project is an open virtualization project for anyone who cares
about Linux-based KVM virtualization. Providing a feature-rich server
virtualization management system with advanced capabilities for hosts
and guests, including high availability, live migration, storage
management, system scheduler, and more. By open we mean open source &
open governance, done right.
During this workshop you’ll learn about the technical background and
direction of the oVirt project. You’ll meet the developers, and have an
opportunity to see and dive into the code right away. The workshop is
open to all who want to use, get involved with, or learn about the
comprehensive open virtualization management platform, oVirt. The
sessions cover the technical projects details, governance, getting
involved, usage, and much more. If you have any interest in an Open
Virtualization Management platform, this workshop is for you!
We are excited to announce that this oVirt Workshop will be held in
conjunction with the KVM Forum.
The KVM Forum and oVirt Workshop are co-located with the Linux
Foundation's 2012 LinuxCon Europe in Barcelona, Spain.
oVirt Workshop attendees will be able to attend KVM Forum sessions and
are eligible to attend LinuxCon Europe for a discounted rate.
We invite you to lead part of the discussion by submitting a speaking
proposal for oVirt Workshop 2012.
- community use case/stories
- deep dives into features/areas
- deep dives into code/debugging/tuning
- integration and extensions
- components: engine, vdsm, node, sdk/cli, reports, mom, guest agent, etc.
- subjects: network, storage, vm life cycle, scheduling & sla, gluster, etc.
- packaging, installation and distributions
- community infrastructure and services
Abstracts due: Sep 14th, 2012
Notification: Sep 28th, 2012
Please submit a short abstract (~150 words) describing your presentation
proposal. In your submission please note how long your talk will take.
Slots vary in length up to 45 minutes. Also include in your proposal
the proposal type -- one of:
- technical talk
- end-user talk
- birds of a feather (BOF) session
Submit your proposal here:
You will receive a notification whether or not your presentation proposal
was accepted by Sep 14th.
One of the big challenges as developers is to know what, where and how
people actually use our software. We will reserve a few slots for end
users talking about their deployment challenges and achievements.
If you are using oVirt in production you are encouraged submit a speaking
proposal. Simply mark it as an end-user collaboration proposal. As an
end user, this is a unique opportunity to get your input to developers.
We will reserve some slots in the evening after the main conference
tracks, for birds of a feather (BOF) sessions. These sessions will be
less formal than presentation tracks and targetted for people who would
like to discuss specific issues with other developers and/or users.
If you are interested in getting developers and/or uses together to
discuss a specific problem, please submit a BOF proposal.
In addition to submitted talks we will also have some room for lightning
talks. These are short (5 minute) discussions to highlight new work or
ideas that aren't complete enough to warrant a full presentation slot.
Lightning talk submissions and scheduling will be handled on-site at
HOTEL / TRAVEL
The oVirt Workshop Europe 2012 will be held in Barcelona, Spain at the
Hotel Fira Palace.
Thank you for your interest in oVirt. We're looking forward to your
submissions and seeing you at the oVirt Workshop Europe 2012 in November!
your oVirt Workshop Europe 2012 Program Commitee
Please contact us with any questions or comments.
I'm trying to install Fedora 17 on a VM on Ovirt 3.1, but when the
installation Xorg starts the VM just hangs and cpu goes to 100%, this
also happens with the live cd.
Anyone got this problem? Any fix?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
I have a vm with a lun and a qcow disk, when making template from this
VM, engine reports: *Cannot create Template. Vm has no disks*.
ps: engine has no log for this action and no request is passed to vdsm.
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
I have a vm with a lun and a qcow disk, when making template from
this VM, engine reports: <b>Cannot create Template. Vm has no disks</b>.<br>
ps: engine has no log for this action and no request is passed to